Sunday, April 06, 2008

Q & A for new langauge auxiliar applicants (Part 1)

A mutual friend referred me to Lindsey, a girl who wanted to apply for the language assistant program in Spain, and we had the following email conversation back and forth. She gave me permission to reproduce it here. The deadline for applying to the program for '08-'09 is fast approaching (April 15, just like taxes!) Click here procrastinators!

Part one of our conversation...

Lindsey: So here's the deal: I just got finished doing the Spain [Semester] Study Abroad and I'm currently in my last semester here. I don't feel "done" as far as Spanish is concerned and I don't feel done in Europe, I love it! So I'm wanting to find a job in Spain where I can work for a limited time (6 months to a year) to continue getting that immersion experience.

I'm pretty short on money so I'm looking for paying jobs rather than internships that are more only for the experience. Anyway, I know [our friend] had mentioned that you were doing some sort of teaching over there while your husband is in grad school. Can you give me some more details about what it is you actually do, your schedule etc? And I'm assuming its a paid position, right? I'm not looking to make a lot of money obviously, mostly just to offset the cost of moving and living over there.

Any light you can shed would be awesome. I love Spain and am just dying to get back over there!

Me: Well, those are all very good reasons to apply to this program. While the job is focused on being an assistant English teacher, just being here means that your time outside the classroom may be spent exploring the magical land that is Spain. My reasoning to apply was that my husband was looking into a master's program and I would need to support us somehow...plus we wanted to have an experience living abroad so that we could traipse about Europe.

The nitty-gritty of the position is that you work 12 hours per week and get paid 700 euros per month, including those months with vacation breaks (Dec. and whenever Easter falls). In Madrid things are slightly different, where you work 16 hours per week and get paid 888 euros per month (though that may change slightly next year. The 700 euro figure for the rest of Spain was recently announced as a raise from this year's stipend. The higher pay in Madrid was never (and presumably won't be) broadly advertised; I only found out about it after I was accepted to Madrid). You rank the provinces you prefer to placed in on your application, and I believe every Spanish province is participating. I named Madrid as my top and only option (knowing that's where my husband's school was located) and got accepted. The official application [is currently up until April 15] at this site:
http://www.mec.es/exterior/usa/es/programas/auxiliares_us/aux_us.shtml

Their selection criteria really centers on whether you've completed a bachelor's degree by the time you start the program, and whether you've had any overseas living experience or experience teaching (esp. foreign language). As far as I can tell, with those basic credentials and a good statement of intent, you should be accepted.

My experience has been positive. I work 3-4 hours per day M-Th at my school in Getafe (just south of Madrid, slightly closer than Alcalá is). At my school there are two other auxiliares. The auxiliar's role is to assist in teaching English in the classroom, always with real Spanish teachers being in charge. Along with the English subject, science and art are taught in English as part of the Madrid school system's bilingual initiative. I teach in different classes in the school ranging from ages 3 to 9. My responsibilities are to aid in pronunciation and to lead certain activities. Some schools are more open to creative ideas you propose than others; it's always a balance between the required curriculum and fun language learning activities.

I enjoy the work and even though I have no intention of being a Spanish, English, or any other kind of teacher, it is a good part-time position that is supporting my living in Spain. Most of the American auxiliares are fresh out of college. The Brits are mostly in the year before their final year at university. We don't see an awful lot of each other except for the other people placed at your school. Maybe that's just boring married me; there may be some exceptions that seek out other auxiliares' company. But nothing is formally organized. Your living situation would most likely be in a shared apartment with other foreign and/or Spanish students, and that could certainly affect your experience. For the perspectives of two (single, female) acquaintances of mine who are in the program, check out these two blogs:
http://kdinspain.blogspot.com/
http://buenapinta.blogspot.com/

Both blogs would be really great resources. Do browse the [North American Language and Culture Assistant Program 2007-2008 and Auxiliares norteamericanos en Madrid 2007-2008 Facebook] groups if you want just to read previous Qs and As, i.e. mostly for background research, thought people don't generally stay that active on the boards once the school year has started.

Any other questions you have, throw them my way.

This is a three-part posting of our conversation. It continues here...

If you are interested in applying for the program Lindsey and I discussed, here is the online application. Best of luck to all applicants!

No comments: