Tuesday, September 25, 2007

NIE and libraries

The continuation of our immigration bureaucratic saga is a rather unimpressive denouement. Surprisingly easy, compared to what we ran up against earlier (which I described in "Evil General Pardiñas" and "More lines in Madrid"). We had our appointment on the 20th back at the Oficina de extranjeros at Plaza Campillo del Mundo. We arrived for our appointment 30 minutes early and were called back immediately after taking a number. We were attended to by the youngest clerk in the room, and she was professional and efficient. When I pointed out two areas of the application I hadn't known how to fill out, she said, "Don't worry. The information is right here in your acceptance letter."

A. was excused to run out and make copies of the visa and entry stamp pages of our passports. I sat quietly as the woman typed our information into her computer until her co-worker piped up to make small talk with me about my position. When it came to checking my acceptance letter against my passport, my clerk asked why my last name didn't match. I explained that I hadn't updated my passport from my maiden name and showed her our apostilled marriage license. Without missing a beat, she made a note in my application to that effect, made a couple of stamps and before we knew it, she was printing out receipts.

What was most revealing about the experience was how the front-room secretary who had given us a hassle the last time we were there interacted with the workers in our room. She came in once every few minutes to ask if someone from such-and-such country could do such-and-such with their passport/visa/whatever. She visibly relished the chance to be given permission to turn someone away or say no. Talk about helpful.

As our cases were wrapped up in brown paper and filed away, our clerk instructed us to pick up our cards at our favorite police station--General Pardiñas--in a month's time. I worriedly asked if we would have to wait in line again, but she said we would only have to show our receipts at the door and supposedly we will be let right in. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The first thing I set about doing now that I had an NIE (printed on our receipts) was apply for a public library card. Only they didn't care to see my NIE; my passport was sufficient. And to think I'd been missing out on the library all this time! So far we haven't tried to open a resident bank account, but I hope they will accept these receipts if we do try before we get our official "green card" is processed.

As I reflect on the process, yes, it is bureaucratic and frustrating, what with all the physical waiting in line. But having gone through the processing of A's permanent residency and miscellaneous related applications back with U.S. Customs and Immigration, I think I prefer Spain's red tape. Sure, there are no night-long lines to speak of in the U.S. But there is a virtual line that is just as cruel and arbitrary, but even longer, slower, more expensive and laden with forms.

2 comments:

C. Lee said...

Let me know if you guys succeed in setting up your account with just a receipt. I went to Caja Madrid today and the lady told me to get a non-resident´s authorization from the Comisaría that would suffice for the meantime.

By the by, do you know the restaurant Yerbabuena?

Tres Jolie Julie said...

I will post an update once we open our acct. I'm in no particular rush, since the first paycheck is still a good month off. I personally don't think it is worth the time and hassle to get a non-resident letter, since by the time you get it you will probably have the NIE/tarjeta de estudiante and you would, I think, have to change to a resident's acct.

I have only read about Yerbabuena, but it does sound as though it warrants a try.